5 Gifts to Give to Someone Who is Grieving
Giving food gifts to the bereaved goes back a long way (the term “funeral baked meats” was coined by Shakespeare, in fact). But why is that?
There are actually two reasons why ordinary and gourmet food gifts are often made to those who are grieving. Firstly, when a death hits close to home, it reminds us of our own mortality. At such a time we often feel the need to embrace life more fully, and the enjoyment of eating is one way to achieve that.
The second and more practical reason to give food to someone who is mourning the loss of a loved one is because it’s a way to offer real, tangible help to that person. We must eat, after all – but when we’re sad and grieving, we may not feel like doing the ordinary, everyday tasks of grocery shopping or preparing food. By giving food to a person who is grieving, we are lifting part of that burden off their shoulders so they can focus on other things.
If you’re anxious to help someone during a difficult time, we’ve put together a list of our five top recommendations for gifts that will not only let the person know you’re thinking of them – they’ll be useful, welcome gifts, too. Read on:
Our Top 5 Food Gifts for the Bereaved
- Subscription to a Fruit-of-the-Month Club. Our Monthly Fruit Clubs definitely get the highest score on our list of gifts for those who are grieving for several reasons: first, fresh fruit is a perishable that’s usually on most people’s grocery lists, so you know you’re sending something the person truly needs. Second, the variety is welcome – for instance, Hale Groves will send pears in the fall, oranges in the winter, grapefruit in the spring, peaches in the summer- something different for every month, in fact. Finally, by going with a 3-month, 6-month, 9-month or 12-month subscription, you’re letting the recipient know you’re thinking of them long after the funeral and burial are over. (This can be a huge morale boost to people who are still learning to cope with their loss after everyone else has moved on.)May we recommend: Our All-Seasons Fruit Club, which delivers fresh-picked fruit that’s in season during the month it’s sent. Different length subscriptions fit different budgets.
- Gourmet Fruit Basket. One of the great things about fruit baskets is their practicality. After a death, loved ones often gather in or near the departed’s home prior to the memorial. This means the chief mourners often have people to entertain. Therefore, when you send fresh fruit baskets to them, you help them out by providing an assortment of goodies that they don’t have to prepare – they can just set them out and let their guests serve themselves.May we recommend: Our Summer Basket Box, which contains an assortment of sweet and savory treats designed to appeal to a variety of tastes.
- Breakfast Food Gifts. Ordering breakfast foods has the same advantage as when you order fruit baskets – convenience and ease in serving guests. Whether you order citrus fruits along with coffeecake, or a selection of marmalades that can be applied to toast or English muffins, you can a person who is grieving a loss an easy way to provide a quick meal to guests – or to him or herself.May we recommend: Our Breakfast Buddy a lovely orange marmalade that’s a delicious addition to toast or muffins plus orange blossom honey that can be used to sweeten tea or even coffee.
- Baked Gourmet Desserts. Your recipient will very much appreciate having a delicious cake or tin of cookies on hand to serve to with tea or coffee to people coming by to pay their respects. Delectable baked goods provide a filling finish to a meal, a burst of energy as a snack, and a reminder that life can still be sweet even during the darkest of times.May we recommend: Our gourmet Chocolate Chip Cookies, which can be set out in their own pretty tin at a wake so people can help themselves.
- Fresh Florida Citrus Gift Boxes. Grieving a loss can be a lot like recovering from an illness, and there are few things better for boosting the immune system than citrus. That’s why many givers love to order citrus for those who have been sick, and for those who are heartsick, Florida citrus gift baskets can be just as beneficial in helping to keep up their strength.May we recommend: Our Heritage Grapefruit is full of sweetness and bright, cheering color – as well as immune-boosting vitamin C.
Ensure the Best Fruit Delivery
For fruit baskets delivered and in perfect condition, Hale Groves is the company you can trust. We’re proud to be one of the best Florida fruit shippers around, and that’s super-important when you’re sending a sympathy gift. Our gourmet foods, fruit boxes and fruit baskets delivery can always be trusted, because your fruit is still on the tree when you place your order. That way, you get the best, freshest fruit available. We hand-select every piece, and rush it straight to your recipient so they can enjoy their gift at its best.
Shop Delicious Treats from Hale Groves
Hale Groves of Vero Beach, Florida, offers the best citrus and fruit gifts money can buy. Order some for your friends, family or yourself.Shop Now