Are Peaches Good For You?
Georgia is known as the Peach State in the US as Peach farming has been embedded in the state’s history. Peaches grow well in Georgia because of the warm weather and soil that is suitable for peach trees to grow. Georgia peaches are great to sweeten up summertime for everyone.
The Peach tree is a subtropical cultivar and they like to grow in areas with warm temperatures. However, during cold weather, they go dormant. It can take up to 4 years for a peach tree to produce large sweet fruits. Once the tree blooms, Georgia Peaches take about three months to grow and become ripe. As they do, the Peaches turn from green, to yellow and to golden color and reach their peak in August. This is why August is known as National Peach Month.
Nutrition Facts (Peach)
Based on USDA nutrition information, for one small peach (130g or 2.5 inches in diameter).
Fat – 0.3g
Sodium – 0mg
Vitamin C: 17% of Daily Value
Vitamin A: 10% of DV
Vitamin E: 5% of DV
Vitamin K: 5% of DV
Potassium: 8% of DV
Niacin: 6% of DV
Manganese: 5% of DV
Health Benefits of Peaches
- These sweet peaches are included in a group of low-fat fruits. The small amount of fat found in peaches is heart-healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat.
- Peaches are also a good source of vitamins and minerals. One peach contains several micronutrients including vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, and B-complex.
- Peaches are packed with antioxidants that are beneficial to protect your body against diseases and at the same time can give your skin a healthy glow. Studies indicate that it can also improve your skin’s ability to keep the moisture in your skin. Fresh peaches have higher antioxidants than canned ones.
- One medium-sized peach can provide about 2 grams of fiber that can aid your digestive system. Fiber can help decrease the probability of constipation.
- Eating fruits regularly including peaches can promote a healthy heart. Peaches can help lower the risk of having heart diseases like hypertension and cholesterol. You can just eat the peaches raw or you can make a fresh juice-drink out of it.
- Peaches contain a beneficial compound that can protect you against various cancers. Polyphenols found in peaches can kill cancerous cells without causing any harm to the healthy cells. Researchers found that to get a sufficient amount of polyphenols your body needs you have to eat 2 to 3 peaches a day.
- This fruit also offers various other health benefits like boosting the immune system and may reduce blood sugar levels.
Peaches, like other fruits, are easy to find. You can find them in your local markets and grocery stores and add them to your daily diet. You can eat Peaches raw, baked, broiled, or add them to warm or cold dishes. Know that as you enjoy peaches they are not only sweet and juicy, but they can also help to keep you healthy.