Honeybell Marmalade Recipe2018-12-14
One of the things I love during the winter season is getting fresh Honeybells. It’s a popular opinion that Honeybell tangelos, also known as Minneola tangelos, are the best citrus fruit. The fruit got its name from its tell-tale shape which resembles vintage bells. Fans of the fruit love the tangelo’s vivid sweetness and incredibly juicy goodness. They’re easy to peel and easily fit in your palms so they make awesome snacks out of hand – as long as you have napkins with you.
Something to note about Honeybell tangelos is that they’re also known as a “limited edition” fruit. Cultivating this fruit has some very specific requirements and they are mostly grown in specific areas of Florida. They are typically only available around late January to mid-February so those in the know usually order them weeks, even months, in advance.
The Honeybell’s distinct sweetness makes it a great ingredient for various foods like pastries, cakes, and other dishes. You can also preserve it by making marmalade so you can enjoy this outstanding citrus a little bit longer.
How to make Honeybell Marmalade
Prep Time: 13 mins
Cook In: 2 hrs
Ready In: 24 hours
- 12 Hale Honeybells (about 6 pounds)
- 2 lemons
- 4 cups water
- 9 cups sugar
- Peel oranges, and cut rind into thin strips. Chop pulp, discarding seeds. Cut lemons into thin slices, discarding seeds.
- Combine orange rind, chopped pulp, lemon slices, and 4 cups water in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Combine fruit mixture and sugar in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 hours or until a candy thermometer registers 215°.
- Pack hot marmalade into hot sterilized jars, filling to 1/4 inch from the top. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool, refrigerate one opened, and enjoy.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe