Theres no better way to ease yourself into summer downtime than with a classic mojito. Loved for their fresh, aromatic flavor, the mojito is a refreshing beverage to serve at any summer gathering.
The Mojito dates all the way back to the 16th century and were it is recorded to have been a popular drink in Cuba. Mint, lime, and sugar were added to the rum-like spirit of the era to help mask its harsh flavor. The drink was known to be an excellent remedy for various tropical illnesses. Today, the mojito is enjoyed far and wide as a refreshing fix for hot sunny weather.
Though a classic mojito uses lime and mint as its primary flavors, it?s easy to dress this drink up with your favorite seasonal flavors. This version features a Hale Groves best-seller; Sweet Georgia Peaches. Grown early in the season, this variety of peach is one of the freshest you can find, a quality that only enhances this cool summer beverage.
If you?re entertaining both adults and children, make an alcohol-free pitcher. The blend of sweet peaches, tangy lemon and superfine sugar makes a concentrate worthy of a refill or two.
How to make a Peach Mojito
Yields: About 8/12 Cups
Total Time: 15 Minutes
- 2 Hale Georgia Peaches, unpeeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves
- 4 cups club soda, chilled
- 2 cups white rum
- Garnishes: fresh mint sprigs, peach wedges
- Using a blender or food processor, blend peaches, sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Should yield about 2 cups.
- Muddle mint leaves against bottom and sides of a glass pitcher to release flavors.
- Add club soda, rum, and peach mixture; stir to combine.
- Serve immediately over ice.