Cara Cara Orange Kale Salad Recipe2020-03-02
It may look like a regular Navel orange from the outside, but once you peel the skin there is a different world within. Imagine yourself snacking on a wonderfully sweet and juicy pink-colored orange that has a hint of cranberry or blackberry to complement its flavor and I am certain that you would give up all other fantasies you may have about other oranges.
All about Cara Cara
Cara Cara Orange is the result of a spontaneous mutation that happened on a Washington Navel Orange tree planted in Hacienda Cara Cara in Venezuela in 1976. Just like other Navel Oranges, Cara Cara Oranges are seedless and have easy to peel skin. However, the mutation caused the fruit’s flesh to turn pink, become extremely sweet, have lower acidity than other Navel Oranges, and give the fruit a distinct berry-like flavor. What’s more, Cara Cara Oranges contain 20% more vitamin C than other Navel Oranges.
How to make a Cara Cara Orange Kale Salad
Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready In: 20 mins
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 bunch of kale (any variety that you prefer)
- 3 Hale Groves Cara Cara Oranges (2 peeled and sliced, 1 juiced)
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- fresh black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- Rinse the kale, remove the leaves from the stems and fully dry. Roughly chop kale leaves and place in a large serving bowl. Thinly slice 2 oranges. Using a sharp knife remove the peel from the sliced oranges, and add to the bowl. Peel and chop avocado and add to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the juice from the third orange with 1/3 cup of olive oil. If the orange juices more than a 1/3 of a cup, add more olive oil. The goal is to mix equal amounts of orange juice and oil. Add freshly ground pepper and mix until combined. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently combine. Crumble feta cheese over the salad. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.