This traditional Italian plum cake is addictively delicious, and Empress Plums (also known as Italian Plums!) are perfect in it. Best of all, it’s so easy to make you’ll make it again and again throughout Empress Plums’ short season! The tangy-sweet flavor of the plums rounds out the sweetness of this dense, rustic cake, making it perfect for dessert or with your morning coffee.
When covered in plastic wrap, this cake will keep for three days on the countertop. Though we’re guessing it won’t last that long! It can also be frozen for up to three months.
1-1¼ lbs. Hale Groves Empress Plums, halved and pitted
½ c. sunflower oil, plus more for the pan
1 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
½ c. almond meal or flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. fine sea salt
1 large egg
½ c. half-and-half or whole milk
1 large lemon, zested and juiced
1 c. + 2 Tbsp. sugar
¼ tsp. almond extract
¼ c. sliced almonds
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare a 9″ springform pan by lightly oiling it and sprinkling it with flour, shaking out the excess.
- Combine dry ingredients flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt) in a large bowl.
Whisk together oil, egg, half-and-half or milk, lemon juice and zest, one cup sugar, and almond extract until thoroughly combined.
- Add to the flour mixture and whisk just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared springform pan. Arrange plum halves, cut side up, over batter.
- Combine almonds, 2 tablespoons sugar and butter; mix well. Dot over batter.
- Bake until surface is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (about 45 minutes).
- Let pan cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove ring from pan and transfer cake to serving platter. Serve.