Grapefruit Marmalade with Vanilla and Anise Recipe2020-05-29
I like eating toast for breakfast and topping it with delicious marmalade is definitely an added bonus. It is so hard to say no to the thick, flavorful spread that can make you drool as you scoop a spoonful of it and smack it right on top of hot, crunchy bread. Think about taking your first bite and imagine the complex, not too sweet, somewhat bitter, with a tinge of tang flavor of the soft marmalade that is in complete contrast with the crunchy bread. You may find it hard to suppress a moan of delight!
Besides being yummy, did you know that marmalade also offers a range of health benefits? Marmalade is made from citrus fruit peel, pith, and flesh so you are guaranteed to get dietary fiber, vitamins A and C, and other important minerals contained in the fruit. It is also rich in antioxidants, which can help lower the cholesterol level in your body and help your body fight off infections and diseases like common cold and flu.
How to make Grapefruit Marmalade with Vanilla and Anise
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook In: 3 hrs 15 mins
Yields: 3 cups
- 1 3/4-pound Hale Groves ruby red grapefruit (about 2)
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Using a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith from 1 grapefruit and thinly slice. Remove peel and white pith from remaining grapefruit and discard (you won’t want all of the peel and pith in the marmalade). Slice flesh of both grapefruits into rounds and remove any seeds.
- Combine sliced peel, grapefruit, and star anise in a large saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean and add pod. Toss to combine. Pour in 4 cups water and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer until reduced by three-quarters, about 1 1/2 hours. Add sugar, return to a simmer, and cook until mixture is thickened and juices are syrupy (mixture will set up when a small amount is spooned onto a cold plate), 1–1 1/2 hours longer.
- Let marmalade cool slightly, then stir in lemon juice. Spoon into clean jars and let cool.