Hale Groves Orange Upside Down Cake2021-05-12
A refreshing take on the classic pineapple recipe, this cake presents delicious candied oranges and citrusy caramel when it’s flipped over! Light and zingy, it pops out of the pan already decorated and ready to enjoy.
For the cake:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ c. butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. orange zest
¼ c. orange juice
¾ c. buttermilk
For the topping:
¾ c. granulated sugar
6 Tbsp. water
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. orange juice
4 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 large Hale Groves Oranges, peeled and sliced thin
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour 9″ round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make topping first: Warm water and sugar in a small saucepan on medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking until the mixture caramelizes and turns golden brown (8-12 minutes). Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract and orange juice. Whisk in butter until melted. Pour into prepared cake pan. Place thinly sliced oranges on top. Set aside.
- Prepare cake batter: Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set side.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add eggs one at a time; beat until well blended. Add vanilla extract, zest, orange juice and buttermilk and mix well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix till just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter carefully over the caramel and orange slices in cake pan. Smooth top with a spatula and bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges of cake with a knife or thin spatula. Invert cake onto a cake stand or serving platter. Cool slightly and serve cake warm or at room temperature.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge. Cake can be reheated lightly in the microwave before serving.