Vanilla Bean Honeybell Orange Tart with Chocolate-Spiced Citrus Meringue Recipe2020-01-16
Dessert has always been my favorite part of the meal. No matter how good and filling the main course is, the sweet decadent desserts top everything off and put me in a very good mood. Health buffs might not agree with me but it doesn’t faze me because no matter how sinful it may be to eat blueberry cheesecake, strawberry shortcakes, and the like, I know that I am giving myself a chance to derive pleasure from simple things in life like eating my favorite sweet goodies – for me dessert is true love.
If you love sweet things, one way to treat yourself is by preparing desserts that make use of healthy and nutritious fruits like Honeybell Oranges.
Honeybells may be sugary sweet but they are packed with important nutrients like Vitamin A and C, Folic Acid, Dietary Fiber, and Calcium which are beneficial to our overall health.
How to make Vanilla Bean Honeybell Orange Tart with Chocolate-Spiced Citrus Meringue
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Yields: 4 servings
Honeybell orange filling:
- 4 egg yolks
- 12 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 4 ounces freshly squeezed honeybell orange juice
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds removed
- 1(9-inch) pre-baked pie shell or 4 (3-inch) pie shells
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 7 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 ounce cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- Pinch hot chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whip the egg yolks until thick. Add the condensed milk and slowly add the juice and vanilla bean and mix well until blended. Pour the mixture into the pre-baked shell and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Once the pie is ready let cool and set aside in refrigerator.
- To make the meringue, dissolve the egg whites and sugar together over a double boiler. Whip on high speed until volume increases and meringue has medium peaks. Add the cocoa and the spices and fold until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- To serve, top the pie with the meringue and torch the meringue or place in broiler to slightly brown the top.