What Are the Health Benefits of Navel Oranges?
We here at Hale Groves take great pride in our Grove Navel Oranges. Bright, colorful, fragrant and refreshing, these beauties are not only prized for their tangy-sweet taste, they’re nutritional super foods, too!
Low in calories and packed with vitamin C, flavonoids, fiber and potassium, Navel Oranges really are one of the healthiest fruits you can eat. You probably already know how good they are for boosting your immune system, but did you know that adding more Navel Oranges to your diet can also help protect against heart disease, cancer and diabetes? Navel oranges have even been shown to improve memory and aid blood pressure!
Here are the Navel Orange’s Top 10 health heroes and what they do for you:
- Vitamin C. Just one large orange will give you over 100% of the recommended daily intake! A powerful antioxidant, vitamin C is essential for a healthy immune system. The vitamin C in navel oranges guards you against damaging free radicals, helping to prevent heart disease and cancers. Vitamin C is also required for the formation of collagen (which is great for your skin, teeth and bones), and is very important for a steady metabolism and hydration.
- Fiber. Navel oranges are a good source of fiber, providing between 2.5g and 4g of fiber per fruit. Because navels are larger, they typically have the larger range of fiber content, helping to improve lower, which also helps to control diabetes. Maintaining a diet high in fiber improves overall digestion and makes you feel fuller longer, which is great for helping you maintain a healthy weight.
- Folate. Oranges provide folate, another B-vitamin the body needs in order to make red and white blood cells, convert carbohydrates into energy, and produce DNA and RNA. The folate in Red Navel Oranges from Florida is essential for preventing certain birth defects.
- Beta-carotene. Beta-carotene, responsible for the orange color of navels, is another antioxidant that can prevent and repair cell damage. The body converts Beta Carotene into vitamin A (retinol). Vitamin A, known as a vital nutrient for vision, plays a critical role in cell growth and in maintaining healthy organs like the heart, lungs, and kidneys.
- Vitamin A. Navel oranges are a good source of Vitamin A, a fat-soluble vitamin that is important for promoting vision and maintaining healthy skin, bones and teeth. Vitamin A is important for maintaining healthy vision, immunity, and reproductive organs.
- Potassium. Potassium is a mineral that your body needs to work properly. It is a type of electrolyte that helps your nerves to function and muscles to contract and your heartbeat to stay regular protecting you from hypertension and stroke. Navels contain almost 10 percent of the nutrient’s daily value of potassium.
- Calcium. Did you know that you may not need to take calcium supplements if you make oranges a regular part of your diet? It’s true: navel oranges contain calcium, which promotes strong, healthy bones.
- Phytonutrients. The most important flavanone in navel oranges is hesperidin, which has anti-inflammatory properties and can protect your vascular system and promote lower blood pressure.
- Citrates. Navel oranges from Florida are a good source of citric acid and citrates, which have been said to help prevent kidney stone formation. If you have recurring kidney stones or want to avoid them, buy and eat navels more often.
- Vitamin B6/B-Complex. Florida navel oranges are a good source of Vitamin B6, which helps to promote a healthy nervous system. Deficiencies in Vitamin B6 can lead to depression and sleep disorders, so if you’ve been feeling down or wakeful, try eating more oranges. Navel oranges also have a high level of thiamine, which is a B-complex vitamin that helps the body metabolize fat and protein and promotes gastrointestinal health.
So there you have it! The outstanding orange is more than just a tasty snack and excellent culinary ingredient; it’s a healthy addition to your diet, too. And because a typical navel orange contains just 69 calories, 17.5g of carbohydrates, less than 0.2g of fat and 0g of sodium, it’s one you can feel good about buying more often, too.