Cherry Pie Recipe2019-07-08
Nothing says summer quite like a beautiful cherry pie. This traditional cherry pie is the perfect center piece for your summer celebration table. Serve it with vanilla ice cream and a few blueberries for a red, white and blue treat. A grocery refrigerated pie crust makes preparation easy, but you could also use your favorite pie crust recipe.
- 4 cups fresh Hale Groves Bing Cherries (pitted and cut in half)
- 1 ? cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ? teaspoon almond extract
- 2 refrigerated prepared pie crusts (top and bottom)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium sauce pan heat cherries over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until juice is formed. Remove from heat and cover with lid. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a mixing bowl and toss well. Add the sugar/cornstarch to the warm cherries and mix. Add almond extract and stir.
- Return the sauce pan to the stove and simmer over low heat until thickened. Stir continually. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place bottom pie crust into a 9-inch pie pan and form to sides. Pour cooled cherry mixture into pie crust, dot with butter, and cover with top crust. Use a fork to seal the edges of the crusts, and cut 4, 2-inch slits into the pie crust top to vent. Sprinkle the crust top with brown sugar and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool before slicing then watch it disappear!