Tired of your old coleslaw and want to try something new? Why not take it up a notch and breathe new life to this classic side dish by adding fresh, crunchy, diced apples to bring about tanginess, sweetness, juiciness and more flavor to your slaw?
Creamy Apple Slaw is a well-balanced side dish that can be paired with any fried, grilled or roasted meat to make your meal more appetizing. What makes this slaw even more awesome is that aside from being tasty, it is amazingly healthful. Apples are rich in antioxidants, dietary fiber, and flavonoids that help fight off cancer, reduce risk of heart conditions like cardiovascular disease and stroke, lower risk of acquiring type 2 diabetes, and it help prevent obesity.
Other nutrients present in apples are vitamins A, B, C, E, and K. There is also calcium, potassium, magnesium, carbohydrates, sodium, and phosphorus found in apples. As you can see apples are power fruits that are packed with vitamins and minerals that can help the body stay healthy and fight off diseases.
How to make Apple Slaw
Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready In: 40 mins
Yields: 6 servings
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded cabbage and carrot mix
- 3 Hale Orchard Apples – peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Whisk sour cream, sugar, vinegar, and ranch dressing mix together in a large bowl. Fold in cabbage mix, apples, celery, and green onion. Toss mixture to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill until flavors blend, 20 minutes to 4 hours.