In-season mangoes are fabulous when added to desserts. With their distinctive flavor and scent and sweet-as-candy flesh, fresh mangoes add a summery, tropical flavor to these tasty, fruity snack bars. Easy to make, they’re a delightful afternoon snack or teatime treat!
2½ c. Hale Groves South Florida Mangoes, cut into small chunks
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
½ Tbsp. corn starch
2 c. flour
½ Tbsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¾ c. cold unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 large egg
½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350° In a bowl, combine mango chunks, sugar, and corn starch. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add cold unsalted butter chunks.
- If using a food processor, pulse until small crumbs are formed. If using a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until small crumbs are formed.
- Mix together brown sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Add to butter-dry mixture and mix well (should be slightly crumbly).
- Bring 2/3 of crumbly mixture to the bottom of a, 8?x8? baking pan lined with parchment paper. Press mixture into pan to form a layer of crumb pastry. Add mango mixture and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle top with remaining crumbles.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool 10 minutes. Use parchment paper life pastry from pan; let cool another 20 minutes. Cut into 9 square bars. Serve.