Hale Groves Orange Sweet Rolls2021-01-11
You will love how doughy, soft, and fluffy these sweet and zesty rolls are! Each bite is tender – like the fluffiest bakery roll you’ve ever tasted. There’s nothing like a fresh sweet roll made from scratch, and after making these you’ll never go back to the store-bought version again.
For the filling:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Hale Navel Orange zest, finely grated
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- Pinch of ground cardamom (optional)
For the rolls:
- 1 (¼-oz.) envelope active dry yeast (about 2¼ tsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten, room temperature
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1-2/3 cup cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- Make the filling by using an election mixer to beat beat butter, sugar, orange zest, salt, and cardamom on medium-high speed in a large bowl until fluffy.
- To make and assemble the rolls, pour 3 Tbsp. warm water (105°F–115°F) into a small bowl. Add yeast and 1 Tbsp. sugar and whisk to combine. Let sit until foamy (about 10 minutes).
- Using electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat egg yolk, orange juice, oil, salt, and remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar in a large bowl. Add flour and yeast mixture. Beat until dough just comes together. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead several times with floured hands until smooth, about 5 minutes (dough will be sticky).
- Spray a clean large bowl with nonstick spray. Place dough in bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a towel and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size (about 45 minutes).
- Spray a 12-cup standard muffin tin with nonstick spray. Roll dough on a well-floured surface to an 1/8″-thick rectangle (about 17×14″). Spread filling over dough, leaving a ½” border on all sides. Starting on one long side, roll dough into a tight cylinder. Cut into 12 equal pieces (if it’s difficult to cut, chill 15 minutes). Transfer, cut side up, to prepared muffin tin. Cover with a towel and let sit in a warm, draft-free place until it rises (30 minutes), or chill overnight. If chilling, let sit at room temperature 2 hours to rise before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls, rotating pans halfway through, until lightly browned on top (15–18 minutes). Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then invert onto a platter to serve.