Hale Groves Tangerine Bavarian Cake2021-04-09
You will need an 8″ springform pan to make this lighter-than-air Bavarian dessert. Wonderfully cool on the tongue, honey-sweet tangerines with an underlying tanginess make this a delightful, melt-in-the mouth dessert.
¼ oz. envelope unflavored gelatin
8 large egg yolks
¼ c. sugar
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 c. heavy cream, chilled
- Remove side of 8″ springform pan and invert bottom, then reattach side (this makes the Bavarian easier to remove). Lightly oil pan.
- Grate enough zest from a tangerine to measure 1 teaspoon, then juice tangerines (you should have 1¼ cups of tangerine juice).
- Sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cup tangerine juice in a small bowl and let stand 5 minutes.
- Whisk together yolks, sugar, lemon juice, and remaining tangerine juice in a heavy medium saucepan, then cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until mixture just comes to a simmer (do not bring to a boil). Remove from heat, then whisk in gelatin mixture until completely dissolved. Transfer to a metal bowl and chill in an ice bath, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened to consistency of raw egg whites. Remove from ice bath.
- Meanwhile, beat cream with zest until soft peaks form. Stir ? of the whipped cream into yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining cream. Spoon into springform pan and chill until set, at least 4 hours and up to 24.