Hale Groves Grapefruit Creamsicle Bars2021-04-19
The light and refreshing dessert offers a sweet, citrusy take on traditional orange creamsicle flavor. Light, fluffy and delicious, the toasty coconut adds a perfect finishing touch. A wonderful summertime dessert!
Coconut Shortbread Crust:
½ c. coconut
1 c. butter, cold, cut into chunks
2 c. flour
½ c. sugar
¾ c. heavy cream
¼ c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. sugar
7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp. grapefruit zest
1/3 c. freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, strained
1 drop pink food coloring
Sweetened coconut flakes, lightly toasted
Small grapefruit slices
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Add coconut to food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Add butter, sugar then flour. Run processor until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Grease a 9″×13″ pan with cooking spray or butter. Press dough evenly into pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until dough is light golden brown on top and cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In stand mixer, use a whisk attachment to beat together heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla on medium-high until soft peaks form. Transfer to another bowl.
- In same mixing bowl, add cream cheese, sugar, and sweetened condensed milk until combined. Add grapefruit zest and juice and mix well.
- Using a spatula, fold the whipped cream into the grapefruit cream. Add the 1 drop of food coloring to the mixture halfway through folding the whipped cream into the grapefruit cream.
- Top cooled coconut shortbread crust with grapefruit creamsicle topping. Sprinkle a few lightly toasted coconut shreds on top. Cover and chill in fridge, at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, top with a small dollop of whipped cream, more toasted coconut, a sliver of grapefruit, and a mint leaf.