Hale Orange Bars Recipe2018-10-31
Fresh squeezed juice from Hale oranges puts a refreshingly tart spin on the popular dessert bar. For this recipe, Hale Navels, Honeybells, or any Hale orange will work well. Mix up a batch of these treats for your next fall party and watch them fly. They are easy to make, fun to eat, and a delight to share.
How to make Hale Orange Bars
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks) chilled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon butter to grease the baking dish
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- Zest of 4 Hale Navel Oranges
- 1 cup freshly squeezed and strained juice from the 4 Hale oranges
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with butter. In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, and salt from the listed crust ingredients. Add the butter cubes and mix all ingredients with a pastry cutter or a large fork until the mixture forms small crumbs. Press the crust mixture into the greased baking dish to form a leveled base. Bake in the preheated oven for 16 to 20 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned at the edges.
- Make the filling by first combining the sugar and flour in a mixing bowl. Stir well to incorporate. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until well mixed. Add beaten eggs, orange juice, and zest to the flour/sugar mixture and blend until well combined. Pour filling over crust and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool at room temperature for 15 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once the bars have been refrigerated for at least 2 hours, remove, dust with sifted powdered sugar, and cut. You can lightly mark the bars with your knife before cutting by scoring shallow lines into the powdered sugar topping. Four bars across both the width and length of the pan will yield 16 nicely sized dessert bars. These tasty orange bars are great for dessert, with tea in the afternoon, or as a fun snack to bring to a party. Make a batch today and enjoy.
Navel OrangesShop Now
Average Member Rating
(1 / 5)
You have already Rated.
1 people rated this recipe