Mandarin Orange Chicken Recipe2018-11-05
My kids are picky when it comes to the fruits they eat. They like mangos, peaches, and oranges but do not like it when the fruits are somewhat acidic, bitter, or difficult to peel. They like them sweet, juicy, and easy to peel. My life would have been really difficult if not for the mandarins or “kid-glove oranges” that met all the criteria my fussy little angels have put in place in order for them to enjoy fruit.
Because mandarins are my lifesavers I think it is only right that I talk about them and their importance in the citrus industry.
Mandarins or Citrus reticulata Blanco is a class of sweet orange with a thin, loose peel. They are native to southeastern Asia and the Philippines and are widely cultivated in Japan, China, and India. The first mandarin cultivar that reached the United States was the ‘Willow-leaf’ or ‘China Mandarin’ which was imported by the Italian Consul sometime between 1840-1850 and planted at the Consulate in New Orleans. The next mandarin cultivar that made an impact in the citrus industry was the ‘Owari’ Satsuma which first arrived in the United States in 1876 and next in 1878. Since then millions of budded trees have been propagated for planting in the Gulf areas. This recipe for mandarin orange chicken is easy and sure to please the pickiest of eaters.
How to make Mandarin Orange Chicken
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Ready In: 45 mins
Yields: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 11 ounces of Hale Groves Mandarin Orange slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- Put flour in a small bowl. Roll the chicken into the flour to lightly coat.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat then sauté the chicken breasts until juices run clear and the flesh is no longer pink. Set aside in a warm oven.
- Whisk orange juice and hoisin sauce into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits. Add in the mandarin oranges, green onion, cashews and the cooked chicken. Stir to combine. Cook until all ingredients are heated through. Serve as a main dish with your favorite rice or a green salad.
Navel OrangesShop Now
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
You have already Rated.
1 people rated this recipe