Maple-Glazed Chicken Breasts with Caramelized Onions & Pears Recipe2020-11-03
This one-skillet dish combines sweet maple syrup and pears with tangy Dijon mustard and savory pairs for a flavorful twist on boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Easy to prepare, it’s a great weeknight meal, but still impressive enough for company! Serves 4.
- 4 boneless, skin chicken breasts (1½–2 lbs.)
- 1 tsp. salt, divided (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1 large Spanish or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large ripe firm-fleshed pears (like Bartlett), or 3 smaller pears
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp .chopped fresh parsley
- Pre-heat the oven at 450°F. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken and cook 3-5 minutes until the underside is golden. Turn and cook 3-5 minutes longer, then transfer to a large plate.
- Melt butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes, or until the onion starts to brown. Stir occasionally.
- While the onions are cooking, peel and core the pears. Cut into quarters (large pears can be cut into 6 pieces). Push onions to the center of the pan. Add pears, cut sides down, around edges of pan. Cook 4 minutes or until browned on the bottom. Turn pears to other cut sides and cook another 3 minutes. Gently stir the pears and onions together, flattening slightly to make a “bed” for the chicken.
- Place chicken on top of pear/onion mixture; tip any pan juices from the plate into the skillet. In a small bowl, stir together maple syrup and mustard. Spread the glaze over the chicken breasts with a spoon.
- Transfer skillet to pre-heated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until glaze is browned, pears are tender when pierced with a fork, and chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 165°F. Divide pears and onions onto four plates, add a breast to each place, and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!