Red Wine & Cranberry Poached Pears Recipe2020-09-17
I love to eat fresh fruit whenever I can. I eat fruit for breakfast, and as a snack, appetizer, or dessert. If you are like me and just can’t get enough of these healthy but yummy delights, you should know what fruits are in season to get the best your money can buy.
This fall, don’t forget to add pears into your grocery list. Pears are in season so you can easily find fresh, juicy varieties in stores. You can also get pears online to be sure that you are getting farm-fresh fruits delivered to your doorstep. Once you get your pears try making this Red Wine & Cranberry Poached Pears recipe and surprise your loved ones with this elegant, yet easy to make dessert, that will perfectly complement any splendid meal.
How to make Red Wine & Cranberry Poached Pears
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook In: 25 mins + standing
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon zest strip (about 2 inches wide)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 medium Pears (about 6 ounces each)
- Creme fraiche or sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the first 6 ingredients to a boil. Add cranberries. Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears. Add to pan in a single layer on their sides. Simmer uncovered until pears are almost tender (about 10 more minutes) turning occasionally. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Drain pears reserving poaching liquid and cranberries. Remove peppercorns. Place pears on dessert plates and drizzle with reserved poaching liquid. Top with cranberries and crème fraiche, if desired.