The holidays are a great time to prepare and enjoy a special brunch, and French toast is a perennial favorite. Now you can make it even more special by serving this version made with fresh, in-season Grove Navel Oranges and spiced with warming cinnamon! Cinnamon-infused orange-maple syrup enhances the holiday flavor…serve with sausage and listen to the compliments roll in.
For the French toast:
- 1 Hale Groves Grove Navel Orange
- 6 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 loaf stale French or Challah bread, sliced
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
For the syrup:
- 1 Grove Navel Orange, juiced
- 1 c. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest the orange and slice it in half. Separate one half into sections and juice remaining half.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, mix together eggs, milk, zest, juice, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add half a tablespoon of butter to a skillet preheated over medium-high heat.
- Dip bread slices, one at a time, in egg mixture. Fry in buttered skillet, flipping once, until golden brown on each side.
- While French toast is cooking, stir together orange juice, syrup and vanilla in a small saucepan over warm heat until heated through.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with orange slices and serve with warm syrup.