How to make Pear Crisp
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 Hale Groves pears
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F and butter a baking dish.
- Peel the pears, cut in half, and then use a spoon or a melon baller to remove core/seeds. Slice lengthwise into about 6 to 8 smaller pieces.
- Place cut pears in a bowl and toss with the vanilla extract.
- To the bowl of pears, add 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, toss again to coat pears well. Place coated pears in baking dish.
- In a bowl combine the butter, the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, the remaining 1/2 cup all purpose flour, the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and oatmeal. Use your hands to mix if needed to incorporate butter well with the other ingredients.
- Spread mixture over the pears in the baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until pears are very tender, and the top has browned. Be sure to check pears for tenderness and increase cook time by a few minutes at a time until done.