Warm up a romantic fall evening by the fire with this sweet and spicy cocktail! Choose ripe Bartlett or Comice pears for the syrup. For a non-alcoholic version, mix the pear syrup with club soda. Serves 2.
- 4 oz. vodka
- 1½ oz. Lillet Blanc
- 2-3 oz. pear syrup (depending on how sweet you like your drinks)
- 1½ oz. lemon juice
- 2 small sprigs rosemary
- 2 large or 3 small ripe sweet Hale Groves Bartlett Pears, chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- Lemon zest, 3″ strip
- Combine water, wine, sugar, cinnamon, star anise and lemon zest in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce to a simmer. Add pears and cook until pears are soft and liquid becomes syrupy (about 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean glass jar. Discard solids and chill syrup until ready to use.
- Combine vodka, Lillet, lemon juice and pear syrup in a cocktail shaker filled with ice; sake vigorously for 15-20 seconds.
- Strain into 2 cocktail glasses. Twist rosemary sprigs to release the oils and use to garnish each glass.