Valencia Orange Quick Bread Recipe2019-07-24
Fresh oranges are a great snack just as they are. But aside from eating them fresh out of hand or juicing them to quench your thirst, there are other ways to enjoy oranges ? turn them to pies, toss them in a salad, make marmalades and jams or bake them into cakes, breads and pastries.
Valencia Oranges are unique for a few reasons:
- Though named after Valencia, Spain, Valencia orange is an all-American fruit that was hybridized by William Wolfskill in California.
- Unlike other oranges, Valencias are summer oranges and are available from March up until October.
- Valencia oranges have bright-orange juice color with a well-balanced sweet-tart flavor making it an appetizing juicing fruit.
- Other orange cultivars maybe associated with Florida but in all actuality, half of the citrus crops propagated and cultivated in Florida groves are Valencia oranges.
So there you have it folks. Before eating your next summer orange, think of the few fun facts we have shared in here!
How to make Valencia Orange Quick Bread
Prep Time: 20 mins
Bake In: 40 mins
Yields: 2 servings
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ? teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated (Valencia) orange rind
- ? to 3/4 cup sugar (use more sugar for a more cake-like consistency)
- 1 egg
- ? cup Valencia Orange juice
- 1 ? cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- Preheat oven to 350?F. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Combine and add grated orange rind and sugar.
- Combine and add egg, orange juice, milk and melted shortening.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl. Combine all ingredients with a few swift strokes. Stir lightly until barely blended.
- Bake the bread in two greased loaf pans about 40-50 minutes or until done.