Crisp, sweet apples and tangy, sharp cheddar cheese make a culinary match like no other. The complimentary flavors go so well together, that dishes that combine cheddar cheese with apples include decadent apple pie slices, fall charcuterie boards, and afternoon snack trays just to name a few.
Now this perfect pairing has elevated the grilled cheese sandwich to new delicious heights, with our Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Thinly sliced, fresh apples add crunch and sweetness to this classic comfort food. Gather these simple ingredients and take lunch to a new level. This recipe is for 2 Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
- 4 Slices of Sourdough Sandwich Bread
- 6 Slices of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Apple, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 2 Tbs Unsalted Butter, divided
- Top 2 slices of bread with 2 slices of cheese, the apple slices divided evenly, and another slice of cheese. Top each with a second slice of bread and press down to tighten the ingredients.
- In a skillet large enough to fit both sandwiches, heat 1 tablespoon of butter until melted over medium to medium-low heat. Cook both sandwiches until cheese starts to melt and the bottom slice of bread is browned.
- Add the second tablespoon of butter to the pan, and flip the sandwiches. Cook sandwiches on the second sides until cheese is fully melted and the second slice of bread is also browned. You may need to reduce heat for cooking the second sides.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
- Add a few slices of cooked bacon to the sandwiches for a Smokey treat.
- Use Pepper-Jack Cheese if you like it spicy.
- Easily increase the ingredients to make Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for a crowd.