Cara Cara Orange Muffins Recipe2019-03-08
A lot of commercially cultivated citrus varieties are said to have come into fruition due to some kind of natural mutation. Mutations are common among citrus cultivars due to the genetic make-up of different types of citrus being sexually compatible. One of the many fascinating and important citrus mutations occurred on a Washington Navel orange tree at Hacienda Cara Cara in Venezuela in 1976. The tree produced a fruit that looked like a regular Navel orange from the outside but once it was cut open, the interior showed a tantalizing pink hue.
Cara Cara Navel Oranges have the same basic composition as other Navel oranges including the tell-tale navel like formation found on the blossom end of the fruit. However, Cara Cara oranges also boast a sweeter and less acidic flavor than your run of the mill navels, have higher Vitamin C content, and a seedless flesh with an appetizing pink hue brought about by the natural presence of lycopene. Try these moist Cara Cara Orange Muffins today.
How to make Cara Cara Orange Muffins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 17 mins
Yields: 12 muffins
- 2 Cups Oat Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Peeled, Diced Cara Cara Orange Flesh
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Squeezed Hale Cara Cara Orange Juice
- 1/2 Cup Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 1 Egg
- Zest from 1 Cara Cara Orange
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line a muffin tin with papers.
- In one bowl, stir together the oat flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, olive oil, orange juice, yogurt, and egg.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, and mix with a wooden spoon just until blended.
- Stir in the diced orange flesh.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, rub the zest with the sugar.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture equally over the muffins, then bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.