Hale Groves Valencia Orange Flan2021-06-07
Sweet, creamy and delightfully decadent, delicate flan is the national dessert of Spain. This version incorporates sweet summer Valencia Oranges for a citrusy twist that makes it extra refreshing. Double the recipe for larger crowds (you’ll need to use two pans).
For the caramel:
½ c. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. juice from a Hale Groves Valencia Orange
For the flan:
2 c. half-and-half
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. granulated sugar
4 strips zest from Hale Groves Valencia Orange
12 extra-large egg yolks
¼ c. orange liqueur
Mint sprigs, for garnish
- For the caramel: In a heavy medium-size skillet, combine sugar and orange juice. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Stop stirring and, holding handle of pan, gently tilt skillet off heat to distribute color evenly as sugar caramelizes. When sugar reaches a uniform amber color, pour into a heat-proof, 10” pie plate.
- For the flan: Place a shallow baking pan in lower third of oven; add enough hot water to come halfway up sides. Heat oven to 325°
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine half-and-half, heavy cream, sugar, and orange zest; bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks. Blend 1 cup of cream mixture into yolks. Stir egg-yolk mixture back into saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in liqueur. Pour into prepared pie plate and place in the baking pan partly filled with water in oven.
- Bake uncovered for 1½ hours or until knife blade inserted in center comes out clean. Remove flan and water bath from oven; cool on a rack, cover, and refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours.
- To serve: Run a knife blade around the edge of flan, then carefully invert onto a rimmed serving plate. Allow caramel to drip onto flan. Carefully lift pie plate. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs.